Hand sanitizer is an alternative to soap and water, due to the fact that soap and water is not convenient to be carried around and it is also time consuming compared to hand sanitizers. Hand sanitizers are an antiseptic solution. It is used to combat the transmission of infection, which is majorly caused through hand transmission, further causing several diseases such as nosocomial food-borne illness and the disease which is terrorizing the world lately which is called Coronavirus which is also known as covid-19.
Hand sanitizers aren’t a difficult product to manufacture. A standard hand sanitizer and the recommended hand sanitizers by WHO should consist of about 70 percent of pure isopropyl alcohol and 30 percent aloe Vera gel or PEG (Polyethylene glycol) as an inactive ingredient.
Market Potential of Hand Sanitizer
- Hand Sanitizer is an antiseptic or disinfectant used instead of washing hands.
- Hand Sanitizer is used to prevent the transmission of infection.
- It considered to be effective over regular soaps.
- Growing awareness on hygiene has increased its demand especially in the urban market.
The requirement of investment to start the Hand Sanitizer manufacturing business is less than ₹ 1 lakh.
Area required for manufacturing unit of hand sanitizer is minimum 600sq. ft.
Formulation of Hand Sanitizer:
A hand sanitizer formulation may contain active ingredients such as:
- Ethyl Alcohol
- Isopropyl Alcohol
- Benzalkonium Chloride
The most important sanitizing ingredient is Ethyl or Isopropyl alcohol at a very high concentration, say at 96% (WHO). This is to ensure that when mixed with the solution, the final product would be around 70 to 80% concentration, as required by the FDA and CDC.
- Carbopol – provides gel-like texture. However, hand foams in pump bottle dispensers usually have lower viscosities to provide efficient dispersion.
- Humectants or Moisturizers like Glycerin
- Fragrance (usually not included in non-scented hand sanitizers)
- Coloring (not included in clear hand sanitizers)
- Bitter-tasting compound – to prevent consumers from drinking the hand sanitizer
- Hand Sanitizer Mixer
This is the equipment used for mixing the ingredients. This can be a Vacuum Emulsifier, High Shear Mixer or a Powder-liquid Disperser Mixer which can make small to large batches of hand sanitizer solution.
This is a machine used for accurately filling container bottles for hand sanitizers. You have several options such as Liquid Filling Machines and Viscous Liquid Filling Machines.
- Hand Sanitizer Capping Machine
An automated machine, capping machines can automatically cap bulk hand sanitizer containers in a matter of an hour. You may have several options such as Screw Capping Machines, Rotary Vacuum Screw Capping Machine
- Hand Sanitizer Labeling Machine
Labeling machines can accurately put a brand or emboss a name on your containers. A variety of options include Pressure Sensitive Labeler, Optical Laser Printing Machine, Inject Printing Machine
Types of Sanitizers:
- Alcohol-based (Isopropyl/Ethanol)
- Ammonia-based (Benzethonium/Benzalkonium Chloride)
- Silver/Iodine based
- Chlorine-based (Chlorhexidine/Cetrimonium)
- Triclosan based
- Essential Oil-based (Cinnamon, Clove, Thymol)